Michelle Obama's memoir of her life up until leaving the White House gives great insight in the U.S. political system and the extent to which the private is considered political, and to which spouses and children are expected to participate in candidates' campaigns. It is an excellent addition to Shine Bright 1re File 5, "Politically Private".
The release of the former First Lady’s memoir is a great occasion for pupils to learn more about her biography, and about the role of the First Lady, which Patricia Nixon (First Lady from 1969 to 1974) described it as “the hardest unpaid job in the world”.
After reading the article, pupils can complete an individual or interactive writing task.
Vocabulary and structures
- political life (term, run for president, campaign..)
- linkwords: opposing ideas / showing paradox (even though, and yet, contrary to..)
- studying and working (law degree, public service job, company, housewife…)
- changes (turn upside down, affect)
- life experience (present perfect vs preterite)
The link for the audio book excerpt mentioned in the teacher's notes is here.
Penguin Random House