On the occasion of the death of Professor Stephen Hawking, we've updated this B1-level article, which we published for his 75th birthday in 2017. Students will learn about Hawking, one of Britain’s most famous scientists, who had a brilliant career in spite of a terrible neurological disease. The film The Theory of Everything , released in 2014, paid tribute to this exceptional man.
This sequence would fit well in an EPI Sciences, technologie et société with physics.
Vocabulary, structures and pronunciation:
- The most+adjective / most+noun
- Expressing purpose
- Simpl resent perfect//simple past.
- Brilliant, famous, respected, rare, incredible, major, unique… // anonymous, ordinary
- Experiment // experience
- The quest for knowledge
- Be diagnosed with a disease
- Derivation: science, scientist, scientific / mathematics, mathematician, mathematical / physics, physicist…
Skills and strategies:
- Understanding significant points in straightforward newspaper articles (B1).
- Writing brief reports and descriptions (B1).
- Sustained monologue : briefly giving reasons and explanations for opinions (B1)