The four-yearly Commonwealth Games are taking place in Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia from 4 to 15 April. In this A1+ article, your pupils will learn some basic facts about the Commonwealth, the Commonwealth Games and Australia. They will compare the Commonwealth Games and the Olympics, and learn the names of some sports like netball, which is played in British schools.
Vocabulary and structure
- sports, countries
- numbers and dates (revision)
- like, instead of, every … years
- talking about the future.
- reported speech (I know / I don’t know / I want to know what, when….)
- Commonwealth countries.
- stress (Australia, population, Olympics…compound nouns).
- word groups
Gold Coast 2018