We asked your pupils to write a story based on one of Dorothea Lange’s photos and were overwhelmed by the response, not just in quantity but in quality, both of their imagination and their language skills. We’ve painfully whittled them down to 30 winners.
We've divided them into age/class levels on separate pages so everyone gets a chance to be visible. We regrouped the few collège entries with Seconde, and the Première LVA pupils with Terminale.
We hope you'll agree as you read them that, no matter what level of English you are at, it's possible to write an interesting text, using the tools at your disposal.
Here are the winners in alphabetical order:
Collège and 2nde
- Agathe, Mme Joubry’s class, Lycée Gustave Monod, Enghien les Bains (95)
- Julie and Meenakshi, Mme Bresson-Rapuzzi’s 2nde classe, Lycée A. et L. Lumière, La Ciotat (13)
- Laura, Mrs Guilbot’s 2nde class, Lycée Savary de Mauléon, Les Sables d’Olonne (85)
- Matthias, Mme Robb’s class, Lycée Français de Jérusalem
- Maysanne, Miss McCourt’s 4e Euro class, Collège Seurat, Courbevoie (92)
- Sofia, Mme Sudlow’s 2nde, Lycée Français d’Agadir
Click here to read their texts.
- Aline, Mrs Medjahed’s class, Lycée Eugène Ionesco, Issy-les-Moulineaux (92)
- Chloé, Karine, Léa, Maël, Dylan, Marceau, Antoine, Constance, Léonie, Elsa, Candice, Mme Delamarche’s class, Lycée des Andaines, La Ferté Macé (61)
- Coralie, Mrs Wozniak’s class, Lycée Christophe Colombe, Sucy-en-Brie (94)
- Clémence, Coralie, Maëva and Maïlys, Mrs Peyronnet Blackmore’s class, Lycée Saint Caprais, Agen (47)
- Elykia, 16 ans, Mme Makele’s class, Lycée Français Charlemagne, Pointe-Noire, Republic of Congo
- Eve-Maris, Mme Paccard’s class, Lycée Jules Ferry, Paris
- Honorine, Soana and Cléo, Miss Veyrune’s class, Lycée Dupleix, Landrecies (59)
- Luc, Su-Jeong, Yohann, Mrs Le Saout-Dutay’s class, Institution Sainte Marie, Antony (92)
- Juliette, Ms. Couasnon’s class, La Ferté Sous Jouarre (77)
- Mariel and Charlène, Mme Seigne’s class, Lycée Edmond Perrier, Tulle (19)
- Nadine, Mrs Porter’s class, Institution Sainte Céline, La-Ferté-Sous-Jouarre (77)
- Solène and Sarah, Mme Bourgain’s class, Lycée Léonard de Vinci, Calais (62)
You'll find their texts here.
Terminale et LVA
- Aminata, M. Benain’s class, Lycée Gustave Monod, Enghien-les-Bains (95) Benain
- Amyrose, Ms Perne’s TL class, Lycée Aristide Bergès, Seyssinet-Pariset (38)
- Anna, Mme Hubert’s TL class, Lycée François 1er, Fontainebleau (77)
- Emma, Mme Hinard’s Terminale class, Lycée Charles de Gaulle, Poissy (78)
- Lana, Mrs Robinson’s 1er LVA class, Lycée Leonardo De Vinci, St Michel sur Orge (91)
- Laurna, Mme Pechmalbec’s 1ère LVA class, Lycée Moulin Joli, La Possession, La Réunion
- Lisa , Mr Cormary’s TES class, Lycée Gustave Monod, Enghien-les-Bain (95)
- Maxime, Mme Boussaguet’s Terminale class, Lycée Dhuoda, Nîmes (30)
- Maximilien, Mrs Griveau’s TL class, Lycée Bossuet, Meaux (77)
- Perrine, Mrs Lancaster’s 1ère LVA class, Lycée du Bugey, Belley (01)
- Perrine, Mme Lehuède-Torpy’s TL class, Lycée Notre-Dame de Sion, Paris
- Rachel , Mrs Florent’s TES class, Lycée Jeanne D’Albret, St Germain en Laye (78)
- Syrine, Mme Leger’s TES class, Lycée François 1er, Fontainebleau (77)
Click to read their texts.
Toward Los Angeles, California, 1937 © The Dorothea Lange Collection, the Oakland Museum of California
> Dorothea Lange Winners Collège and Seconde
> Dorothea Lange Winners Première
> Dorothea Lange Winners Première LVA and Terminale
> Pupils’ Portrait Winners
Tag(s) : "competition" "creative writing" "documentary" "Dorothea Lange" "exhibition" "Great Depression" "photography" "U.S. history" "World War II"